Assistive Technology and ASN Officer
I am on secondment from East Lothian Council's Education ICT team and am here until March 2017 as a Development Officer: Assistive Technologies and Additional Support Needs.
I have roles across a range of activities including:
- assessment and support of individual learners,
- development and delivery of professional learning,
- writing web site content
- and research and development projects.
I came into teaching later in life (2007) and immediately became interested in and engaged with assistive technologies. I am fortunate to be part of this dedicated team here at CALL where I have a wide and deep pool of knowledge and expertise to draw on. I am leading on Professional Learning and am focussing on providing a programme of relevant, quality assistive technology training to those working with children and young people with disabilities, additional support needs and /or communication difficulties.
I'm currently working on...
- Developing a GTCS accredited training programme for AAC and Assistive Technology with Craig Mill
- Writing a report on the Talking in Exams project which focussed on the use of speech recognition software in schools and its use in assessments and exams
- Researching viable methods of measuring the impact of assistive software such as text to speech software
What I do when I'm not working in CALL
- I enjoy playing squash, running, cycling, surfing and really any sport apart from badminton
- I like to create and consume colourful, tasty vegetarian cuisine ideally grown in my garden
- I spend time with friends and family enjoying the outdoors, good food, music and adventures