on Thu Mar 09, 2017
When we loan out and recommend iPads with communication apps for AAC users, we also need to provide a functional carry case that has several key features.
It needs to be:
- able to withstand drops and knocks,
- have both a handle and a stand for communication in different settings
- and also have a carry strap for real portability and independence.
Since there wasn't much on the market, we decided to create our own: the CALL Adaptable iPad carry case.
It has all these features noted above and comes in a variety of colours for both case and strap to meet individual users’ needs.
Why not ask us to make one up for you for £49.99 (plus postage).
Here's how you can make your own
- Newstyle iPad case. (1)
- 5mm x 25mm Chicago screws. (4)
- Picture hanger - standard ZP single (28mm x 17mm). (3)
- Strap. (2)
- Electric drill with 5mm 'metal' drill bit.
- Small hand file.
- Loctite 242 Threadlocker. (5)
- Mark up 2 x crosshairs on the case where you want the strap to hang from.
- Drill 2 x 5mm holes through the case.
- With pliers grip the picture hangers firmly and widen out the hole from 4mm to 5mm with a 5mm 'metal' drill. Start the drill off at a decent speed and drill through gently to avoid it sticking.
- With a small file clean off any burrs or sharp bits from the drilling process.
- Take the 25mm Chicago screws and push them through the holes in the case.
- Place the picture hanger over the screw.
- Add a few drops of Threadlocker into each screw to help lock the screw head.
- Attach the screw head and tighten with a screwdriver.
- Allow the Threadlocker 15 minutes to dry.
- Attach the strap.
Unfortunately the picture hangers only come with 4mm holes and the Chicago screws are 5mm in diameter, that's why steps 3 and 4 are required!
If all this seems too much then why not ask us to make one up for you for £49.99 (plus postage).